........but this time with a new belt:
I used every piece I had left over from the blouse to make this new belt. This is how it was ment to be in the first place. This belt won't cut me in half and it will give me a more slender silhouette than the first option. Still need to find that buckle and make some wholes ;) Suitable for a Christening or a Christmas party, don't you think?
Sunday, September 08, 2013
Saturday, September 07, 2013
Lets go back to the beginning.
Lets go back to the beginning.
I had these fabric in my closet for years, and I mean YEARS. At least 8 of them. I had 1 1/2 metre of each. So when Vintage Pattern Lending Library asked for pattern testers once more, I knew I had to say yes to the challenge.
The pattern arrieved :)
I was quite happy to see that I had just enough fabric for the skirt and belt. No room for error here.
The tiny amount at the bottom left corner of the picture, were tossed. Too small for anything and not suitable in a quilt.
Here's the closure closed.........
.....and open. I went for the bigger snaps to make sure they will stay closed or open as I please and not as they please.
The side. It was really easy to make this skirt and I didn't have to make any alterations. Just sew it all together with a smaller seam allowance than the pattern asked for.
Front. English is not my native language and I would guess that this pattern will be bought by others not being native english speaking people. So.. a diagram showing just the front pleats might be a thing to consider.
Anyway, the skirt is finished and it fits me real well :D
And then it's time to make the blouse:
I didn't make any major alterations to the blouse. To make sure it would fir me I added a few inches from a B36 to a B40. In retospect I wouldn't need to add as much to the arms as I did.
I read and learned a new way of making button wholes.
Maybe not as beautiful as they could have been since it was my first go at this, but I'm pleased after all :) So far so good.
Then there was the necline.I sure needed to read and read the instructions again and again, until I got my head around this. A diagram for the neck part alone would have helped me a lot. There's no measurement given for the front neckline either. This might cause a problem with it being too long or too short.
I looked at the diagrams and read the txt over and over agai for the cuffs as well. They do have a pattern piece but no information about any button wholes. So I made mine without wholes and just used snaps with a suitable button on the right side of the cuffs. Works perfectly.
And here's the neckline done and topstitched as well. At this point I haven't hem stitched the lining.
Just about to add the buttons......
I'm really going to use this suit every chance I get. It suits me fine and I love the colours and the shape it gives me.
Bring on the next pattern......
Saturday, August 24, 2013
Ladies suit from the 30's. I don't expect to get a silhouette like this but I think the suit is quite elegant.
Sooo.......I was looking for some fabric I know I had that would fit this outfit just right. But no matter how high or low I looked I couldn't find it :(
Then I picked something else. This was just enough for the skirt. A brownish grey thin synthetic (don't know what kind) fabric with as good as no stretch to either side, doesn't crease easilly and I have had it in my closet for at least 7 years. I always intended to use it for a skirt but never found the "right" pattern. It would never have found a way into any of my quilting. I'm glad for that now but it is still a silly argument for not using what you have...
Not much left over after cutting out all the necessary parts. Since the seam allowance is rather big I didn't have to add much to get it to fit me. Besides, I'm down sizing....2 sizes this far :)
It's going to look great don't you think?
I hope to get back to all my quilting fabric and ideas before Christmas :)
Sunday, August 18, 2013
Saturday, August 17, 2013
.........but still it's all about fabric.....
Rose's lunch dress
Cutting out the parts of the bodice from this Butterick pattern:
But no matter how hard I tried it just wouldn't fit me in the right way.
So I turned to this Danielle (Burda Style) pattern again. It worked well for me the last time I used it. If you ignore the fact that the dress turned out a number too big ;)
Here's the skirt parts.....
.....and adding the lace. The lace is quite loose so I had to be careful using the sewing machine.
Deciding on the lace. The arms were some leftovers and sewn all by hand. The sewing machine would have ruined it.
Time to stitch the lace in place :)
Wednesday, August 07, 2013
......... is finished.
It's made out of 12 pin wheel blocks 5 inch and 2 inch latice between them. I can make a EQ file for it later :)
And I had to make me a dress for my son's wedding.
I changed the lace in the waist to a white bobin lace. Looked a lot better :)