Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vintage Valentine progress

And here it is: My seventh block. Not exactly like the original but suitable for my quilt.
Here's the medallion. I don't know how many times I looked at the original picture before I understood that the big heart flowers were made out of different red and pink fabrics. I even tried to cheat by making the red part in one go. That didn't turn out good at all. I would recommend any one to do them one heart at a time. It will look so much better. I chose to make the two lower birds in a darker colour to create more balance to the medallion. I felt it was too top heavy with only lighter birds all over. I really like the way it turned out finally :) I will start the next block soon but I will also start designing a Baltimore Album quilt for the show in Huston in 2010. This is just something I really want to do and I feel I have the skills now to do it properly. The colours will not be the traditional white, red and green but something different and subtle. I will show you the fabric choices later on :) I need to finish off some DearJane Spring Fling swap blocks too.

6 comments:

  1. Nydelige blokker du har sydd her. Blir spennende å se ditt Baltimore prosjekt for Houston:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hvor bliver den flot! jeg glæder mig til at se hele toppen færdig - det kan ikke tage mange uger nu :-)
    Tine i København

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful. I love the hearts and the design is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looking forward to seeing your baltimore album
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty block. You do such nice applique!

    ReplyDelete

you might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails