Sunday, October 31, 2010

Candle Mat swap

I just "had" to be in this swap :) It is a candle mat swap by Michelle at Quilting Bloggers . There are quite a few participants in this one. The sign up is closed but you should still be able to find the free partern here by Sandra Andersen . She even has a tutorial for the candle mat, part 1 and part 2 .

First I had to test the pattern so I pulled out a charm pack with fall fabric from Moda. Out of 42 5" charms I got two mats. They still need to be quilted and binded.
Then I went on with the candle mat for my seacret swap sister. I hope she likes it because I used the fabric line she wanted me to use:  Moda, "Adoring" by Sandy~Gervais.

 Of course there was enough fabric or should I say squares for another mat for me. Still need to stitch down the binding. But there were still some small pices of fabric left. I didn't want to throw them away so I made 3" bow tie blocks. I have never made any of these before and it was fun.

I started to sew them together into rows using a lighter fabric but I didn't like it after all. After some frog stitching I cut out new pieces of dark blue fabric.

This was much more suitable. All I need now is the border, quilting and binding. Perhaps I should call it a doll's quilt due to the size? I'll give that another thought when I'm back from the Quilt Festival in Houston this week. Please note that there isn't a perfect fit between the blocks, but I don't care :) It's cute anyway.....

3 comments:

  1. så herlige "resultater" av swap:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeg liker disse brikkene SÅ godt! Tror jeg må sy slike jeg også!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've find your blog just now (from the forum of quitdesigners)but I love it. I follow your great work and lovely designs what really inspires me :O)

    ReplyDelete

you might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails