This is how you might find Drammen city centre from the train station on a beautiful sunny day in July.
Remember I told you about my French General project in this post: http://wenmart.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-french-general-luminere-de-noel.html
It is finally ready to be quilted:
My living room floor isn't big enough for a good picture of this top so I used my sofa. Still not easy to get a good picture. I used a layer cake package of French General fabric for the blocks. I managed to make 30 8 inch blocks.
Then I added the muslin. It's a bit lighter than the lightes FG fabric but I think it makes the 30 blocks pop out. I think I used about 2 yards of that but I didn't measure the total yardage for this, I just made the cuts.
For the borders I had 3 yards of fabric. I cut it into stripes and sew them back together again to get a more interesting border. Of course I ran out of fabric and had to use my imagination to get the border I had planned in the first place. So I had to add some scraps to make the final lengths. I think this added something to the top.
And I mitered the corners. Wouldn't be the same if I had used squares here. The corners are not perfect but good enough :)
Here are the final leftovers and these pieces have to find their way to my scrap basket for the time being. I might use them or I might just throw them away. I need to think about it before I do something I might regret later on.
The light band around the blocks would be perfect for some applique or fancy quilting. I don't know yet.
But look how good this quilt looks in my "new" red living room and I did it without any planning at all!