Friday, October 28, 2011

A visit to Plymouth, England

I visited my daughter last week. She now lives in Plymouth, England. I had high hopes to explore the city and find something unusual to see.
Towards Plymouth Casle
As you can see we didn't get the best weather but at this time I didn't care too much. It wasn't raining that much. 

whirlwind in progress
Until I spotted the whirlwinds forming. They always bring heavy rain. Boy, did I discover that  20 minutes after I took this picure. The first shop I visited was selling umbrellas luckely. By then I was allready soaking wet.
The eye of Hoe.
 Anyway, I couldn't stay in a place like Plymouth without seeing some of the special places. Have to admit though that I tried to see as much as possible in as short a time as possible. Just look at those clouds!
the Lighthouse
 Among them was the lighthouse. I don't know the whole history behind it but it must be something special since it is a big piece of Plymouth's history.

the statue of  Drake, Sir Francis
The same goes for Sir Francis Drake. His exploits were legendary, making him a hero to the English but a pirate to the Spaniards to whom he was known as El Draque, 'Draque' being the Spanish pronunciation of 'Drake'. His name in Latin was Franciscus Draco ('Francis the Dragon').



Look at the pictures of the same sights taken in sunlight (from Town Crier Plymouth ). I wish.......
Mayflower steps
Here's the gate to the steps that led to the ship Mayflower. Everyone's heard of that ship, right? :)
Anyway, I did find something quite out of the ordinary. At least for me:
buttons
 I did spend some time in this tiny shop. Who could know that buttons would be so interesting to look at?
more buttons
Have to admit that I did buy some buttons of different sizes and colours. Wouldn't you?
When I left that store the rain had stopped and I decided to take a few more picures of the old parts of Plymouth.




Due to the weather I wasn't tempted to walk about as much as I had planned. Neither did I find a shop suitable for a quilter. Instead I got to wach a lot of my favorite tv shows about decorating, redecorating, building houses, refurbish old homes, buying houses at auctions, moving country......... and so on :)
Then every good thing has to come to an end and I had to go back home.
I left early in the morning while it was still dark. This picture was taken through the train window when the mist was still haning over the water and the sun was waking.
When I finally arrived in Drammen that same night, what do you think I got?
More rain............

4 comments:

  1. Det ser ud til at Plymouth er en hyggelig by, selvom vejret ikke var til udendoers aktiviteter. Knappebutikken ser spaendende ud ! Jeg elsker knapper og koeber altid er par stykker naar jeg ser nogen der er spaendende :-)
    Mange hilsner
    Angelika (TSQ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ser du har hatt en våt men fin tur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Du har virkelig fått med deg mye av Plymouth, synes jeg. Artig med bildene fra den gamle delen av byen, ser sjarmerende ut. Synd med været, men det er jo ikke noe å gjøre med. Takk for titten, artig med slike korte reisebrev.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wenche,

    Have been following your Christmas Baltimore on TQPM and arrived at your blog through the link there. There are a couple of quilt shops in the Plymouth area if you know where to look. Email me next time you are coming over and I'll let you know where they are.

    Regards,
    Jan - in East Sussex, but frequent visitor to the Plymouth area.

    ReplyDelete

you might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails