Saturday, September 07, 2013

1930's Ladies two piece dress......

.....is finished.


 Lets go back to the beginning.

I had these fabric in my closet for years, and I mean YEARS. At least 8 of them. I had 1 1/2 metre of each.  So when Vintage Pattern Lending Library asked for pattern testers once more, I knew I had to say yes to the challenge.
 
The pattern arrieved :)
 

I was quite happy to see that I had just enough fabric for the skirt and belt. No room for error here.

The tiny amount at the bottom left corner of the picture, were tossed. Too small for anything and not suitable in a quilt.

Here's the closure closed.........

.....and open. I went for the bigger snaps to make sure they will stay closed or open as I please and not as they please.

The side. It was really easy to make this skirt and I didn't have to make any alterations. Just sew it all together with a smaller seam allowance than the pattern asked for.

Front. English is not my native language and I would guess that this pattern will be bought by others not being native english speaking people. So.. a diagram showing just the front pleats might be a thing to consider.

Anyway, the skirt is finished and it fits me real well :D
And then it's time to make the blouse:
I didn't make any major alterations to the blouse. To make sure it would fir me I added a few inches from a B36 to a B40. In retospect I wouldn't need to add as much to the arms as I did.
I read and learned a new way of making button wholes.
Maybe not as beautiful as they could have been since it was my first go at this, but I'm pleased after all :) So far so good.

Then there was the necline.I sure needed to read and read the instructions again and again, until I got my head around this. A diagram for the neck part alone would have helped me a lot. There's no measurement given for the front neckline either. This might cause a problem with it being too long or too short.

I looked at the diagrams and read the txt over and over agai for the cuffs as well. They do have a pattern piece but no information about any button wholes. So I made mine without wholes and just used snaps with a suitable button on the right side of the cuffs. Works perfectly.

And here's the neckline done and topstitched as well.  At this point I haven't hem stitched the lining.

Almost there.

Just about to add the buttons......
 Ta da...





I'm really going to use this suit every chance I get. It suits me fine and I love the colours and the shape it gives me.
Bring on the next pattern......


2 comments:

  1. My you are such a good seamstress. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such talent to read a patter and make something. Clothes in the '30's were more involved than what we wear and possible sew these days. You are right the outfit looks great on you and should be worn a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete

you might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails